Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Humblest Apologies from The Philistine- the penny drops...

I have just been reminded that a Camino-veteran friend of ours referred our blogspot to the Camino Live Forum - hence our blog has received comments from persons unexpected. Please note that the comments of my wife are legitimate camino experiences designed to edify, whereas my comments were written for family, the odd workmate and odder friend.

Therefore all readers who are looking for bona fide camino comments should ignore my postings !

However - essential tips to date :

Footwear - get professional fitting ! The Spanish heat swells your feet and normal everyday fittings from a cooler climate will not be big enough for the camino heat ! Swollen feet cause rubbing, causing blisters.

Plastic ponchos - while probably ineffective against decent rainfall they are handy for wearing in the mornings when the temperature is lower - and they are easy to take off without removing your pack. They are also good as a windbreak when the wind is slightly cooler.

Quickdry garments - necessity - not cotton !

Sandals : 3 of the 4 of us have walked mainly in Keen sandals and socks- good ventilation and coolness being the advantages. The only improvement would be that they lack the cushioning of a walking shoe. So if you are interested in wearing sandals then do so but buy the model with the most underfoot cushioning.

Vaseline/petroleum jelly - an application can help in areas of friction especially when sweating in the Spanish heat !

Walking poles - absolutely essential that you have at least one.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for your odd comments oh Rick the Philistine. I am glad to read it is your too- small shoes that have caused problems rather than the socks since I was the one who told you about the socks. I probably didn't tell you that I made an expensive error wth shoes, and after some 'training' I realised I had bought shoes that would be too small under walking conditions, and went back abd bought a bigger pair. (I am happy to say though that someone else did profit from my error and loves the pair I didn't take.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, your Camino-veteran friend is wishing she never spread the news of your blog in the forum, since it appears you have attracted someone who so bravely comments anonymously, who has no appreciation of the finer things of life like the Flight of the Conchords.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blog :)
    Don't listen to Anonymous..we set up our blog just like you for family and friends, someone from the forum cut and pasted part of it and bagged us..
    Just ignore and keep writing as you are, it is your journey and you sound like you are loving it.
    Funny, when we stayed at Hugos Hacienda in Boadilla, they loved the Wallabies!!!!!! we loved that night, were going on to Fromista but decided to stay there instead. Thats what we loved, no plan, just stopping where we liked.
    Enjoy
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way - the French description for me is "ancienne pèlerine" - sounds a lot wiser and kinder than Camino-veteran I reckon! I think I might ask for it on my tombstone, since I have crossed so many bridges out of RIP contention ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From another anonymous, I'm enjoying your blog. It is always interesting to read how others view their camino. As a family yours would be very different to the singles and couples who make up the bulk of pilgrims walking to Santiago de Compostella.


    We are all different and it is reflected in our comments. Enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another one further south of Margaret and enjoying your blogs, both from him and from her. I had trepidations when Kiwinomad publicised this blog on the open forum which has its share of zealots, who hide behind the cloak of anonymity as in any unregulated forum. There is no need for you to apologise, each Camino is personal, only you can benefit from the experience. We are loving the blog and learning a lot from it, what a family bond to have your children with you and doing their own thing.

    Grandpa Joe of Christchurch (not anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though it meant that you got a few negative posts I'm very glad that Margaret posted this link as having walked from SJPP to Santiago I am busy proselytising the Camino to my sisters and their kids as a great journey to make as a family
    As for Camino facists-challenge and 'out' the buggers is what I say!
    Nell

    ReplyDelete